Tuesday 24 November 2009

A little polka dot goodness and some repurposing....



As part of our garage clean up this weekend, we rediscovered these canvas pockets that we have had for years.  We bought them pre-kids and never really found a good place/purpose for them so they ended up in the shed in our last house.  We used them to hold trowels, garden clips and all that jazz.

So, as a result of being in the shed for several years they had got mildew at the bottom.  Very sad.  But I felt too sentimental to throw them out - and with all our new storage in the garage there was no need for them in there.

Now for the brainwave.  I'm going to use them in the coat cupboard for each childs hat and gloves.  3 pockets and 3 children - very convenient.  So I decided to disguise the mildew part with some polka dot loveliness..............




I chose 3 different colours (my littlest one has 'reserved' blue already), and cut equal size rectangles to make a cuff.  I placed a little wonderweb along the middle and ironed them which gave a nice firm fabric that was a little easier to work with.




 I folded over the ends also so I had nice neat edges all round.



This is when it all went a bit pearshaped.  I was trying to iron the whole 'cuff' on using wonderweb to the canvas pocket. And trying to make dinner and negotiate with a three year old over having a biscuit before dinner.  And explaining to Yoyo that it was not a good idea to lean on the ironing board.....

So take this into consideration when you see the above.  I am going to have to secure each end with thread as it's not bonded as well as I'd liked...but it's enough.

Now have to just get it in situ.  A task for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for working your comfortable life out on a shoestring. I understand it all too well, especially living in a pricey city. To top it off, I'm a bit of a bonehead when it comes to crafting. Patience is NOT my virtue.

    Wobbly and all, if I were your kids I'd feel the love all over me when I put my hats and gloves in their special place.

    Happy you were hanging out on Decor8 so I could find you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such a lovely comment :)

    Feels good to give something a second life.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails